Ryan J. Hulbert, Ph.D.
The family is the basic unit of society. In family relationships we experience our greatest challenges and also our greatest joys. Heroic family relationships are created by healthy behaviors and courtesies done on a daily basis. When these actions are consistently practiced by family members, strong bonds of love, devotion and shared strengths are formed, which support the family members for a lifetime and beyond. Becoming an Everyday Hero Family is one of the most noble of all goals.
This family self-assessment is designed to be used in the following manner:
1. The family choosing to participate in the assessment, and the proposed ongoing
process of improvement, will choose a consistent time on a weekly basis to
complete the assessment and record their progress.
2. Complete the assessment with input from all willing family members.
3. Record the score for each of the six categories, and also the total score for the
4. Set a goal as a family to improve the following week by selecting at least one,
and no more than three of the categories to earn one additional point that week.
5. The categories are based on an acronym of “FAMILY.” These categories are
Fun, Affection, Meals together, Intelligence and Income, Listening, and Yearning (to improve).
6. Your family earns a point by the number of days in a week, two or more family
members do the following everyday behaviors: